You haven't had Cobbler if you haven't had this Cobbler!
The Very Old Family Cobbler Recipe
~ best if made with fresh picked blackberries! ~
A very special treat that is super easy to make
|2 tsp||Baking Powder|
|1 lb||Fruit or Berries|
- Heat oven to 375°
- Melt the butter in a GLASS breadpan
- In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients except the berries
- Mix with a fork
- BUT, not too much - honestly!
- Now, no more mixing!
- Carefully pour batter into the middle of the pan so the butter stays between it and the pan.
- Pour or Place the berries/fruit into the middle of the batter
- I'm not kidding -- No Mixing!
- If your pan is small you may need a cookie pan underneath in case the butter boils over.
- Bake for about 45 minutes -
- A knife stuck in the middle should come out with just butter, no batter.
We always serve with cream poured over the top (half-and-half will do.)
For dutch-Oven cooking (over a campfire)
The recipe stays the same,
But if you have a larger Dutch-Oven you may need more butter to be sure the batter stays surrounded.
Cooking longer not hotter is better.
Most likely it takes about an hour to an hour-and-a-half and you will need to manage the coals to keep an even heat.
You need to keep the dutch-oven enough above the coals that they don't get smothered - I set mine on three small stones.